All Children Reading...
- 250 million children – many of them from disadvantaged backgrounds – are not learning even basic literacy and numeracy skills.
- 57 million primary school-age children are out of school.
- If all students in low income countries left school with basic reading skills, 171 million people could be lifted out of poverty, which would be equivalent to a 12% cut in world poverty.
- Globally, one year of school increases earnings by 10%, on average.
- If all women completed primary education, there would be 66% fewer maternal deaths.
Once equipped with the power of reading, children will have greater opportunities, become life-long learners, and realize their full potential.
- UNESCO Global Monitoring Report 2013/2014 pg. 18
- UNESCO Global Monitoring Report, Policy Report 10. (July 2013)
- UNESCO Global Monitoring Report 2013/2014 pg. 13
- Ibid, pg. 15